Director of Finance and Operations
Reports to: President
The Director of Finance and Operations (DFO) directly oversees all the financial, legal, IT and operations of Film Independent, and is responsible for stewarding the overall financial health of the organization.
The DFO has primary day-to-day responsibilities of planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial and operational activities of the organization. The DFO plays a critical role in ensuring that Film Independent responsibly stewards its financial assets, growing them to enable future impact in line with the organizations’ mission and the mandate of the Board. The DFO reports to the President but also works closely with the Board of Directors – specifically, the Finance Committee, Executive Committee and Audit Committee. Management of key staff is also a focus. The Director of Finance and Operations participates as a member of the senior leadership team, which is responsible for the overall management of the organization.
Direct reports include: Senior Director of Human Resources & Administration, Finance Manager, Finance Coordinator, Director of Events, Spirit Awards Producer
- Work closely with the President and Board of Directors to ensure that all operations are efficiently implementing the organization’s goals and plans
- Create, manage and monitor Film Independent’s annual budget, reporting regularly to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors on the financial activities and results of the organization.
- Manage all department heads in the areas of budgeting, finance, and legal/contracts. Meet regularly with department heads to review budgets and actuals, analyze variances and take corrective action as needed
- Manage federal government grants, working closely with Development Department and other appropriate department heads
- Manage organizational risk and work with the insurance broker to obtain policies appropriate for the organization’s risk tolerance and budget.
- Oversee all finance and accounting activities, including annual audit, tax reporting, and management of relationships with any outside CPA or audit firm
- Prepare financial reporting to granting organizations and foundations in a timely manner
- Monitor and pro-actively manage Film Independent’s cash flow
- Develop and implement all necessary business plans and budgets with detailed financial analysis for ad-hoc projects
- Oversee Film Independent’s IT needs, ensuring that our computerized systems are robust and reliable, and IT security systems are in place and updated regularly.
- Assist department heads in structuring their goals to be attainable and measurable
- Liaison with outside attorneys
- Review and negotiate all contracts or provide necessary support to outside counsel
- Insurance: maintain proper insurance levels for property, liability, E&O and employee benefits for company, its assets, activities and programs
- Work closely with President and Department Heads to identify methods to maximize revenues, analyze systems management among departments to reduce unnecessary redundancy and expenses throughout the organization on an ongoing basis
- Work closely with Senior Director of Human Resources to ensure that all staff are appropriately managed and that any HR issues are addressed in an appropriate and timely manner
- Educate staff on financial best practices on an as-needed basis
- Other duties, as assigned
Competencies, Experience and Expertise:
- High level of expertise and analytic skills in all areas of accounting, finance and business operations
- Minimum 5 years management-level experience with non-profit accounting, reporting and required Federal and California informational and tax returns.
- CPA preferred
- Contract analysis and negotiation skills, conflict resolution skills
- Ability to deal in the day-to-day operational details of the organization while keeping the mission of the organization in mind
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and a professional presence
- Strong organizational and administrative skills, with attention to detail
- Moral and ethical integrity
- A high level of initiative and enthusiasm and a bias for action
- A team player and the ability to work as part of a team
- A positive attitude and ability to adapt
- Experience with computers, databases, electronic office-suite software and e-mail needed
- Ability to work with and manage creative people
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and stick to deadline
ABOUT FILM INDEPENDENT
Film Independent is the nonprofit arts organization that champions creative independence in visual storytelling and fights for a community of artists who embody diversity, innovation and uniqueness of vision. Film Independent helps filmmakers make their movies, builds an audience for their projects and works to diversify the film industry. Film Independent’s Board of Directors, filmmakers, staff and constituents is comprised of an inclusive community of individuals across ability, age, ethnicity, gender, race and sexual orientation.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org